Thursday, June 2, 2011

Review - Lady Beware



Title: Lady Beware
Author: Jo Beverly
Publishing Date: 2007
Genre: Historical
Rating: B
Sensuality: Warm
Book Disclosure: I downloaded an audiobook from the library.

Lady Beware is in Jo Beverly’s regency series A Company of Rogues. Lady Thea is accosted and propositioned - blackmailed really - into helping the notorious Vile Viscount Dorian. He wants to enter back into society and what better way with the most prim and proper Lady Thea on his arm. In exchange Dorian will help clear the name and honor of Thea's brother who is said to have deserted his duty in the recent war.

This book was a little weird for me because it was narrated by a man. I am much more used to women narrators that it threw me off a little. However, once I got over my initial shock of a male narrator I was able to enjoy the story. It really starts off with a very intriguing first meeting between the hero and heroine. I have to say that is always the highlight of a romance novel, is when the hero and heroine first lay eyes on each other. Lady Beware does not disappoint in that aspect.

I really enjoy Jo Beverly's writing. She has very well developed characters that seem very genuine to which the time period she is writing. The characters speak and act with historical accuracy, at least as much as my knowledge dictates me to discern. I found Lady Theo very likeable a heroine. She is graceful, virtuous and yet she has this underlying curiosity and intelligence that could possibly get her into trouble if she ever indulged it. Viscount Dorian encourages and enlightens Thea to be bolder and escape the rigid confines of her life. Thus these two interestingly enough balance each other out. Their discovery of each other and their differences was a delight to read.

There are a few places in the book when I thought that the story dragged. I don't know if it was the book itself or because I was listening to an audio version. Yes, right away the characters meet and then it felt like there was some time before thing really got cooking between them. The author had to set up the story, or some such nonsense! But all in all, I felt that this was an enjoyable story. I haven't read many books in the Company of Rogue's series and I need to remedy this.

No comments: