Sunday, February 20, 2011

Review - The Trouble with Paradise



Title: The Trouble with Paradise
Author: Jill Shalvis
Publishing Date: 2007
Genre: Contemporary
Rating: B-
Sensuality: Hot
Book Disclosure: I purchased a used copy at a book store.

Dorie Anderson's life is just not turning out as great as she had hoped. She is at a dead in job in the retail world, when really what she wants is to be a fashion designer. Then consider her love life, or lack of in any case. All in the blink of an eye Dorie is on her way to Fiji on a cruise with not one but two hunky men who have caught her eye. Things turn sour when the yacht ends up in a terrible storm leaving them shipwrecked. At least she has sexy doctor, Christian to tend to her needs.

The Trouble with Paradise is not a terribly deep story. If you are looking for something simple and cute to pass the time then this is the book for you. Dorie is a sweet heroine who has a tendency to stumble her way into things. She is a very klutzy heroine, but she has luck on her side. She may not know it, none-the-less.

I liked the premise of the story. Girl looking for adventure and romance finds more than she can handle when her vacation boat ends up shipwrecked. I thought that more time would be spent on the island. It doesn't actually happen until two/thirds through the book. There is a little bit of complication because one of the crew members ends up missing and the characters don't know if it was foul play or not. That mystery was a bit distracting from the romance between Dorie and Christian. Also, I never understood why Christian kept pushing Dorie away when he was obviously drawn to her. Overall this was an easy read and was a nice way to pass the time.

5 comments:

E Kelly said...

New follower here. Not sure about this book, although I do like the whole ship wrecked story line. I am a contemporary romance writer and reader of almost everything. (I will admit though, that romance has always been my favorite). Hope you stop by and check out my new blog.

http://writerekelly.blogspot.com/

Leslie said...

This is on my TBR pile because I liked the premise and it's a Shalvis! I'll pick it up when I'm in the mood for a fun, light read. Thanks for the review. :)

Jill D. said...

Hi Kelly, Thanks for stopping by... I also enjoy a good ship wrecked story, but I have yet to come across one that really gets it right. I think it is an interesting scenerio that an author could have a lot of fun with.

Leslie - It is good for when you are in the mood for something light and fun.

nath said...

I've had this book in my TBR pile for a couple of years and still haven't read it, sigh ^_^; I heard a lot of good comments though... then again, it's Jill shalvis...

Jill D. said...

Nath - The Trouble with Paradise is good when you are in the mood for light read. If you are familiar with Shalvis then you know what you are in for...