Sunday, August 29, 2010

Review - Anywhere She Runs



Title: Anywhere She Runs
Author: Debra Webb
Publishing Date: May 2010
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Rating: C
Sensuality: Warm
Book Disclosure: I received a used copy from Paperbackswap.

Adeline Cooper swore to never step foot in the small town of Pascagoula, Mississippi after a drug bust went bad and her cousin was killed on the job. Adeline's Uncle has blamed her for his son's death and because of his power in the town his threats to harm her force her to leave and never come back. Ten years later Adeline finds herself back in Pascagoula when a case of a missing woman leads her there. Now she must work with her former boyfriend now Sherriff Wyatt Henderson to solve the case.

Let me preface this review by saying that in the past I have really enjoyed Debra Webb's novels. This time though, Anywhere She Runs doesn't measure up. While there were aspects to the book that I enjoyed, the negative outweighed the good.

I'll start with the positive. The mystery surrounding the missing woman was done quite nicely. The clues are slowly revealed and the connection to Adeline was very intriguing. The mystery will easily grasp the reader. Where the book falters for me has to do with the characters themselves most especially Adeline. She is so angry and defensive most of the book it is hard to completely connect to her. Some of this is due to the fact that the author continues to hammer into the reader’s head, just how angry Adeline is about her past circumstances. There are a lot of mental diatribes that just slow the pacing of the story down.

Wyatt is okay, but he doesn't really go after Adeline and spent those ten years pining after her. I don't know. He was too passive for my tastes. Plus after all of the baggage between Adeline and Wyatt, things are wrapped up much to quickly. I don't even think a whole chapter is devoted to the major conflict resolution.

I can't really recommend this book. There are better out there. If you want to try Debra Webb I suggest Nameless instead.

2 comments:

nath said...

Hmm, I think I have Nameless in my TBR pile... I should get to it, since I'm in a RS mood :D

I wasn't even aware that Ms Webb had a new release. I feel a bit out of the loop LOL.

Too bad that this wasn't to your taste :(

Jill D. said...

Nath - Nameless was my first from Debra Webb and it impressed me. I wanted to read more by her. Although I haven't found another book by her that I enjoyed as much as Nameless. I do have Faceless in the TBR. I'll have to pick it up next time I am in the mood for RS.