Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Review - Whispering Rock



Title: Whispering Rock
Author: Robyn Carr
Publishing Date: 2007
Genre: Contemporary
Rating: B
Sensuality: Warm
Book Disclosure: Borrowed from the library

Whispering Rock is the third book in Robyn Carr's Virgin River series. These books are definitely interconnected and I don't recommend reading this one without having read the other two books in the series first. Brie and Mike have known each other for years now. Mike is a good friend to Brie's brother Jack. Mike has always had feelings for Brie since he first met her even though she was married. Mike kept his distance since it was obvious Brie was in love with her husband. Now Brie is divorced from Brad after she found out he was cheating on her with her best friend. Brie was devastated by that betrayal. Brie focused on her job as a prosecutor for the attorney DA. She was working hard to put a serial rapist behind bars, only he walked. He came after Brie and brutally raped and beat her. Brie needs to heal from this attack and Mike is there to help her.

This summary is actually only the beginning of what is going on in this book as Whispering Rock once again heads back to the town of Virgin River. There are familiar characters such as Mel and Jack, Preacher and Page (Preacher totally cracks me up in this book) as well as a host of new characters' that get story time in this book. This can be a positive and negative to the book. On the one hand, I love the sense of community that Virgin River has to offer. It is great to read about all the different characters and what is going on in their lives. The bad thing is that it leaves less time for the main romance with Mike and Brie. I think as long as the reader is already an established fan of Carr's work, they will be happy with Whispering Rock.

I love how Carr was able to connect Brie's rape and tie it into what was happening within the teen community of Virgin River. Mike is hired as a law officer and he investigates a series of date rapes that have happened locally. This establishes new relationships and characters and might eventually lead to future books. All in all I thought this was a solid read. I enjoy revisiting this town and its inhabitants.

Here is what others had to say:

Casee from Book Binge
Rowena from Book Binge
Scooper Speaks
Good Books, Bad Books & Everything in Between
Read With Me

This book can be purchased in print or kindle format from Amazon.

6 comments:

nath said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the book :D I pretty much agree with your grade :D I'd rather the book has focused more on Brie and Mike... instead of Paige, Preacher, Jack and Melinda. However, I really liked the secondary story with Tom.

Leslie said...

I liked Brie and Mike and do wish they had more time together. But then I also like revisiting with previous characters. I guess I want it all. LOL

Jill D. said...

Nath - Does Tom get his own book later in the series, what about Paul?

Leslie - I do like revisiting the other characters too. It may have been a little over done, but I still loved the book. I just love this little town.

Marg said...

I've only read the first book in this series, but I do want to read more eventually.

Marg said...

I've only read the first book in this series, but I do want to read more eventually.

nath said...

Paul and Vanni get "their" story in Second Chances Pass. I put quotation marks, because there were a lot of other stories going on at the same time.

as for Tom, no story so far. I think it's because he's still young. Never know though.