Saturday, December 19, 2009

Review - Too Good to be True




Title: Too Good to be True
Author: Kristan Higgins
Publication Date: 2009
Genre: Contemporary
Rating: B
Sensuality: Warm
Book Disclosure: Received a used copy from Paperbackswap.

Grace Emerson in a moment of quick thinking makes up a fake boyfriend to fool her family into believing that she is over her former fiance Andrew, who is now dating her sister, Natalie. Grace's family is always on her case, making sure that everything is okay in Grace's life. She works as a high school history teacher for a prestigious private school. She lives alone with her little terrier, Angus. One evening she witnesses a man trying to break into the house next door to her. She calls the cops on him. It turns out he wasn't a bugler, but her new next door neighbor. Callahan O'Shea just got out of the slammer. Why can't Grace meet a nice man - like the pediatric surgeon she is "dating"?

Too Good to be True is narrated by Grace in the first person. This might be a deal breaker for some people, but I really enjoyed getting to know Grace. Her narrative is fast and fun. It's very conversational and the reader gets a real feel for Grace's personality. The book focuses a lot on Grace's relationships with her family. This involves her two sisters, Natalie and Margaret and also both her parents. I can't forget to mention Grace's grandmother Meme, who is somewhat of a cantankerous... bitch. I might as well call it like I see it. Even though Grace's fiance leaves her two weeks before the wedding and even though Andrew has fallen in love with Natalie - Grace never holds it against them. She doesn't play the victim. She has a great sense of humor about it and she is trying to move on with her life. Enter Callahan O'Shea.

Callahan is pretty much a mystery to the reader for much of the book because Grace is in the driver's seat, so-to-speak. Grace is narrating and the only glimpses of Cal that the reader gets are when Grace is with Cal - and that is not a lot in the scheme of the whole book. When Cal is in the scene he has a strong presence and the way Grace narrates the reader can easily deduce what type of person he is. It's just subtle and the reader has to work a little harder. I really enjoyed this story. I would definitely recommend it to fans of chick lit or readers who enjoy family relationships.

Here is what others had to say:

Book Addict
Books, Books and more Books
2 Read... or Not 2 Read
Princess Sara's Library
Dreaming on the Job
Tracy's Place
The Book Girl
A Few Good Books

This book can be purchased in print or kindle format from Amazon.

4 comments:

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

I thought this was a great story! I'm glad you liked it...I've since read a few more books by Ms. Higgins and she is now an auto-buy for me!

nath said...

Was this your first Higgins, Jill? I really enjoy her books as a whole. I love her writing and narration and enjoy all of her heroine. I do think this is more chick-lit than romance, but we do get our HEA ending, so I won't complain.

However, have to be careful not to read her books back to back... heroines tend to sound the same...

Jill D. said...

Patti - I definitely plan on reading more by her.

Nath - This was my first Higgin's book. One of my new reading rules is to not read any authors back-to-back. I want to avoid any kind of burn-out, which I have experienced on certain authors I have glommed. Thanks for the heads up :)

Christine said...

I love Kristan Higgins! Very fun, sweet romances. I have all of her works on my shelf, but have only read this one and Catch of the Day so far.