Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Review - To Desire a Devil




Title: To Desire a Devil
Author: Elizabeth Hoyt
Publishing Date: November 2009
Genre: Historical
Rating: B+
Sensuality: Hot
Book Disclosure: A friend thoughtfully sent me her copy after she finished reading it.

To Desire a Devil is the conclusion to Elizabeth Hoyt's quartet The Legend of the Four Soldiers. Reynaud St. Aubyn was captured during the French and Indian War at the battle of Spinner's Falls. His fellow comrades in war believed him to be dead, when he was actually living as an Indian captive for seven years. He managed to survive his captivity with the strong drive that he would make it back home to England - to his title as the Earl of Blanchard and his lands. The story opens with Reynaud literally crashing a tea party in the home of the current Earl of Blanchard. He is on death's door having taken sickness from the voyage from America to England. Beatrice Corning the current Earl's niece nurses him back to health for she has always been intrigued by the portrait of smiling young man. She recognizes Reynaud from his portrait even though he seems quite changed.

Again, Elizabeth Hoyt delivers! I really enjoyed the main characters Reynaud and Beatrice. Beatrice is a sweet, simple woman. Honestly, there is nothing complicated about her. What you see is what you get. She has many good qualities, such as compassion for both Reynaud and her Uncle Reggie. Reynaud's personality is more forceful and brash in comparison. He sees her quiet strength and compassion and wants to surround himself in it. He decides what he wants and is determined to have it. Theirs was just an enjoyable romance to read.

I felt the conclusion to who the traitor was over the Spinner's Falls massacre was a tad unexciting. I mean, there have been three previous books leading up to this conclusion and when we finally get to it, it seemed deflated. However, I did enjoy seeing Sir Alastair Monroe from To Beguile a Beast put to use a very clever ambush tactic upon the traitor. It made for a good laugh. It's little clever pieces like that which keep me coming back for more. Bravo Ms. Hoyt! You make it seem so effortless!

Here is what others had to say:

Babbling About Books and More
Dear Author
Closetwriter
Book Junkie
Love Romances and More
Anna's Book Blog

This book can be purchased in print or kindle format from Amazon

8 comments:

Lori said...

I have to admit to not being held in thrall by this one. Which disappointed me. There was nothing I could put my finger on exactly, because I liked both characters. It just didn't grab me as I'd hoped it would. Having said that, I did enjoy the book. I guess all that hype and expectation is hard to meet.

Leslie said...

I just peeked at the grade. *sigh of relief* I've heard some readers say, looks up at Lori, that TDaD wasn't as good as they expected. Now you've given me hope Jill. :)

Kristie (J) said...

I really enjoyed this one and thought it made a fine final book to the series. She's really become an author I love over a short amount of time.

Jill D. said...

Lori - Oh too bad! I am sorry to hear you were disappointed. There have been many a time when my expectations led me to disappointment. I just think Hoyt is so clever. I am glad that you were at least able to enjoy it.

Leslie - Well, I hope you have a good reading experience. I thought it was a classic Hoyt - charming and clever.

Kristie - I really love Hoyt too. I haven't tried her contemporaries yet. I have For the Love of Pete sitting on top of my TBR pile. I need to get to it soon.

Marg said...

There is something that I find very comforting about Elizabeth Hoyt's writing. I haven't read this one yet, but I plan to soon.

Jill D. said...

Marg - Congrats on you Anniversary! Yes, I agree about Hoyt's writing. I find her very easy to read.

Pearl said...

This book is finally at the top of my TBR pile. Reading another one now but it's next...have heard mixed opinions on it! I hope it answers to the expectations I have of it!

Jill D. said...

Pearl - I hope so too. I know it disappointed some, but I enjoyed it. I haven't read the third book in this series, and I know that was some readers' favorite. I need to read that third book, which is Lord Vale's story.