Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Review - King of Sword and Sky




Title: King of Sword and Sky
Author: C. L. Wilson
Publishing Date: 2008
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: C+
Sensuality: Warm
Book Disclosure: Received from Paperbackswap

King of Sword and Sky is the third book in C. L. Wilson's Tairen Soul Series. If you are not familiar with this series, this is not the book to begin with. You'll want to start with the first book Lord of the Fading Lands. Ellysetta has been chosen to save the Fey. How she is supposed to do exactly that is not known. Ellysetta travels with Rain back to the Fading Lands to see how she can stop the Tairen and Fey from extinction. Meanwhile, back in Eld the High Mage is building up his troops preparing for war against the Fey. He has a few tricks up his sleeve that might just tip victory in his favor.

The Tairen Soul series is a sweeping fantasy tale of good verses evil. C. L. Wilson pens a visual story filled vivid imagery and numerous details. While many will find this writing style colorful and imaginative, I found it tedious. Often I found the details of Elly and Rain's plight over exemplified. It seemed every little detail made it's way into the story. Also, the Fey have so much magic. At any time they can create anything they desire, from food to clothing or even just heating up their bath water. The buildings and just about everything in the Fading Lands is so picturesque it has a Disney-like quality to it. It just seemed all to perfect to me.

The part of the story that I really enjoyed was the battle at the end. Here is where all those details really payed off. The battle just comes alive on the page and the imagery is astonishing. The intensity of the story really ratchets up a great deal. This book ends on a cliff-hanger and I can see why so many people were wanting to get the next book, Queen of Song and Souls in their hands right away. At this point, I am not sure if I will finish with this series. I don't want to have to slog through 300 pages of mundane details to get to 100 pages of really good stuff. I'm on the fence.

Here is what others had to say:

Leslie's Psyche
Dear Author
Leontine's Book Realm
Babbling About Books and More
The Book Smugglers
Lurv a La Mode
The Good, The Bad, The Unread
Bodice Ripper Reviews
Aneca's World
Alpha Heroes

This book can be purchased in print or kindle format from Amazon.

7 comments:

nath said...

I give up on this series from the get go, because I don't like fae stuff, even if this has a different version of them.

Sorry that you didn't enjoy this book. I guess the best is to wait for reviews :D

Mandi said...

I did think King of Sword and Sky was a little slow throughout - or it could have been because Lady was such an action packed book.

I have read Queen and while I liked it, it is definitely a stepping stone to the final book. I still love this series and her characters :)

Leslie said...

Sorry it didn't wow you. :(

I do like the fight scenes - remind me of some of the LotR fights. I just got Queen but am going to wait to read it right before last book comes out.

Jill D. said...

Nath - I do like Fae and magic and what not, but this just seems so "Disney-esqe". I don't know how else to describe it. It's like it was too over the top for me. I don't know...

Mandi - I thought there were only four books. I didn't realize that there will be another one after Queen. It just seems to dragged out for me.

Leslie - There were so many glowing reviews. I can't believe I didn't like it. Usually, I am right there with the majority. Not this time it seems.

Christine said...

I started reading this about a year ago and struggled through the beginning. I thought it was just because my life was getting a little crazy with the construction and I couldn't focus... but maybe it wasn't me. I do plan on eventually picking it up again. I do like the epic fantasy feel to Wilson's writing. Thanks for the review.

~ames~ said...

Aww, that's too bad you didn't enjoy this one. I loved it! LOL

Jill D. said...

Christine - Yes, I think Wilson's style is just too detailed for me unless I am really in the mood for it. I think she is one of those writers who need to be savored slowly and my own reading style kind of clashes with that.

Ames - I know you loved it, LOL! Actually, it seems the majority of the reviews I read were favorable. Mine is probably the lowest out there that I have seen.