Sunday, April 27, 2008

Review - Your Mouth Drives Me Crazy



Title: Your Mouth Drives Me Crazy
Author: HelenKay Dimon
Publishing Date: July 2007
Genre: Contemporary
Rating: B-
Sensuality: Hot

Kane Travers, Kauai Police Chief has been forced into a vacation after a drug bust goes bad. One morning he discovers a naked woman has washed up onto the beach in front of his bungalow. He brings her inside to find out what happened to her and assess her injuries. Annie Parks went to Hawaii for some nefarious reasons that she is unwilling to disclose to Kane. The only thing that comes out of her mouth is lies until she feels she can trust this handsome Hawaiian hunk.

I had a few problems with Your Mouth Drives Me Crazy and most of them stem from the heroine. She was just too sarcastic and dishonest throughout most of the book for me to really relate to her. If the author would have toned it down a little more, or balanced it better, I would have enjoyed the story more. Annie’s life is in danger and she has been rescued by the Police Chief. Does she let him help her? No, she fights and nit-picks with him almost the whole time. When she finally does realize she should have trusted him, she is in a world of trouble and it’s almost too late. Had Annie and Kane trusted one another and worked together earlier I would have liked the book better.

Luckily for Kane, he liked Annie’s feistiness. He found it refreshing and made him see the joy in life again. Okay, good for him. Kane was a good guy, just a smidgen bland for my tastes, but overall a nice hero. I will say that I enjoyed the very ending after the bad guy is caught and Kane and Annie profess their love for one another. It was a very sweet profession of love and humorous to boot.

The suspense played a large part of this story. It fell flat for me because the villain was a joke. I didn’t get his motivation at all. I think he was just bad for the sake of being bad. Why he did what he did at the end I didn’t get at all. I’ll let it slide because Kane and Annie’s relationship was the bigger focus. If you are looking for a good suspense plot, look elsewhere because this is not it. Humor is so subjective. Sometimes a book has me laughing out loud and other times it has me rolling my eyes. Your Mouth Drives Me Crazy fell somewhere in between. So, I’ll give this one a B-.

Here is what others had to say:

The Good, The Bad, The Unread
Dear Author

3 comments:

Kris said...

Okay, I am glad it was not just me. I read this one just have not gotten around to posting about it. The plot was interesting but the characters bugged me as well. It was not bad just not great either, I agree with your grade.

Jill D. said...

Kris, She was just too sarcastic for me. I wanted to like her, I really did but, her mouth drove me crazy.

Kris said...

LOL :P